Salad with black truffle scorzone
- Serves: 2
- Total time: 15 minutes
- 1 fresh lambs lettuce, or oak leaves lettuce
- 100g/3½ oz. beef fillet steak, finely sliced
- Black Truffle aestivum (scorzone)
- Parmesan (Ideally Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice
Roberto Bianco of Top Truffles, sent this recipe for a simple salad with black truffles to Kitchen Geekery.
Roberto writes “The enjoyment of this salad comes from the quality and freshness of the ingredients, and the writer of the recipe Anna Moglia is chef and owner at Cascina Cabella, a truffle house in Italy.
A good black truffle truffle should be ripe, compact, and quite pungent. For the beef, we used “Fassona” Piedmont beef, – a very lean beef from northwest Italy. As the beef will be uncooked, it’s especially important to only use a high quality, lean beef cut, that’s properly butchered.
Another important ingredient is “Parmigiano-Reggiano”, which is a high quality Parmesan cheese made in Italy. Parmesan is a salty, hard cheese, and it provides a balance to the beef, and extra virgin olive oil.
The choice of extra virgin olive oil is important for the taste and for our health. So try to buy a clear olive oil, made from olives processed immediately after the harvest – as this is what influences the quality and taste.
You can choose the specific variety of olive oil to your personal taste, as both delicate, and stronger types suit this recipe.”
- Cut the raw beef into small thin slices and place onto a bed of lettuce.
- Cut the cheese, and black truffle into shavings and garnish the lettuce.
- Drizzle with an emulsion of oil and lemon juice, and serve immediately.