The Brandy Crusta is a slightly sweet, fruity cocktail which uses brandy as a base, to which lemon juice, curacao, Angostura bitters and maraschino (cherry) liqueur are added.The proportions in Brandy Crusta makes for a finely balanced drink with a blend of strong flavours.The Brandy Crusta cocktail was invented by an Italian bartender named Joseph Santini in New Orleans in 1850. The crusta name refers to the sugary crust around the glass rim.The Brandy Crusta is considered to be an ancestor of another popular cocktail, the Sidecar.
- Cocktail glass
- 60 ml brandy
- 15 ml lemon juice
- 15 ml curaçao
- 1 tsp maraschino liqueur
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 lemon slice (for the sugared rim)
- sugar (for the rim)
- 1 lemon peel (to garnish)
- Wipe a slice of lemon around the glass edges. Dip it in sugar to create an even rim. Place aside.
- Pour the brandy, curaçao, maraschino liqueur, Angostura bitters and the lemon juice into a cocktail shaker filled with ice, continue to shake well until blended and chilled.
- Strain into the prepared glass.
- Garnish with a lemon peel.