- 2 eggs (separated)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 120 ml rum or bourbon or brandy
- grated nutmeg (to garnish)
- Add the egg yolks together with 3 tablespoons of sugar into a large bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Pour in the milk, heavy cream and the spirit of your choice.
- Using a different bowl, beat the egg whites together with 1 tablespoon of sugar until you can see peaks forming.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the first mixture.
- Pour into 4 coupe glasses.
When and where was eggnog invented?
Eggnog originated in Britain during the early medieval times as a drink called posset which is a hot drink similar to an ale.
During the 1700s, eggnog was introduced to America by settlers and it made use of the relatively cheap rum which was plentiful at the time.
Why is eggnog bad for you?
Eggnog is full of fat (cream, egg), sugars and alcohol – so it is not a healthy drink, and is best enjoyed in moderation and as part of a healthy diet.
What does the nog in eggnog mean?
Nog is an old english word for a strong ale.
What does eggnog taste like?
Despite the usage of eggs, the taste is more creamy as the milk and cream dominates the flavourings, because of the egg though it is said that eggnog tastes a little like melted ice cream.