El Diablo cocktail is a blackcurrant and tequila-based cocktail, yet one which is sour and spicy at the same time. Creme de cassis adds the sweet flavour of blackcurrants to the earthy, peppery tequila, while ginger beer compliments the drink with its spiciness; and lastly, some sourness is brought by lime juice.The first mention of El Diablo dates back to 1946 when it was published in Trader Vic's Bartender Guide under the name of Mexican Diablo as one of the first tequila drinks.
- Collins glass
- 50 ml reposado tequila
- 15 ml creme de cassis
- 15 ml lime juice
- 80 ml ginger beer (to top)
- 1 lime slice (to garnish)
- Add the tequila, creme de cassis and lime juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass.
- Top with ginger beer. Garnish with a lime slice.
What is in an el diablo cocktail?
The El Diablo cocktail contains tequila, blackcurrant liqueur, ginger beer and lime juice .