The Grasshopper cocktail is a sweet, mint-flavoured cocktail, it's name comes from its green colour. The drink consists of equal parts of crème de menthe, crème de cacao, and cream. It is so delicious that can easily replace a traditional dessert. Grasshopper was invented by Philibert Guichet for a 1918 cocktail competition in New York City. At that time the drink won second-place only, but the Grasshopper became so popular in New Orleans (home of Guichet) that it has secured a place on cocktail menus ever since.If you enjoy the mint taste of this Grasshopper cocktail, we also have a recipe for a Stinger cocktail that also uses crème de menthe.
- Cocktail glass
- 25 ml green crème de menthe
- 25 ml white crème de cacao
- 25 ml heavy/double cream
- mint sprig (to garnish)
- Mix all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.