- Old Fashioned glass
- 5 mint leaves
- 60 ml Bourbon whisky
- 15 ml simple syrup
- 1 mint sprig (to garnish)
- Pour the simple syrup into a glass.
- Add the mint leaves and muddle them gently.
- Add the bourbon and top up the glass with crashed ice. Stir well.
- Garnish with a mint sprig.
Why do they drink Mint Juleps at the Kentucky Derby?
Legend has it that the Churchill Downs (home of the Kentucky Derby) founder Meriwether Lewis Clark, Jr., planted mint for Mint Julep cocktails when he founded the track in 1875.