Orange, rosemary and chicken skewers
- Serves: 4-6
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- 450g/1lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 small aubergine/eggplant, 2cm/1in cubes
- 2 medium bell peppers, largely diced
- 1 medium yellow squash, cubed
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- 2 tbsp. orange juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
This is a guest recipe for Kitchen Geekery by Lauren O’Connor, a registered dietician from California, USA.
When it's warm and sunny, what better time to grill and enjoy your meals outdoors. I love finding new ways to dress up chicken and yet keep it healthy. Here’s a recipe that trims the fat, while sealing in the flavours of natural wholesome foods. Lauren has another twist on this recipe, and further nutritional information available on her blog.
Soak the wooden skewers in water, ideally this should be done for 30 minutes - it helps stop them burning.
- Toss the chicken and vegetables through the olive oil, rosemary and orange peel. Then thread the chicken and vegetables on skewers.
- Grill the skewers, turning once. It should take about 8 minutes or so until chicken is thoroughly cooked and the vegetables are just tender.
- Drizzle the skewers with a little fresh orange juice and serve.