- Serves: 12-16
- Preparation time: 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- 110g/4oz icing sugar
- 100g/3½oz Rachel’s 0% Fat Greek Style Blueberry yogurt
- 100g/3½oz mascarpone
- Blueberry jam
- 2 large egg whites
- 60g/2oz ground almonds
- 40g/1½oz caster sugar
- Few drops of lilac food colouring
A recipe for blueberry macaroons – there is nothing prettier than a macaroon. Why not have a go at making your own to impress your friends and family!
This recipe is from Rachel’s Organic.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Prepare 2 baking sheets and line with baking parchment.
- Sift the icing sugar and ground almonds together then place them in a food processor on full power until a fine powder has formed.
- Whisk the egg whites, sugar and food colouring until you have a firm and shiny meringue.
- Using a large metal spoon gently fold in thirds the icing sugar and almond mixture. Do not over mix - when the spoon is pulled through the mixture it should flow back together.
- Using a piping bag fitted with a 1cm (½in) round nozzle, carefully pipe circles onto the baking tray ensuring adequate spaces between each macaroon. If a peak forms use a wet finger to smooth down.
- Tape the tray down to release any air bubbles and leave to dry for 15 minutes.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes until the macaroons have frilly feet and easily peel away from the baking sheet. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling - mix together the yogurt and mascarpone and whisk until smooth and well combined.
- Sandwich the macaroons with a small blob of blueberry jam and a teaspoon of yogurt and mascarpone mixture. Gently press together.
- Repeat until you have 8 pairs of macaroons.
The name of the cake comes from the Italian maccarone or maccherone meaning "paste", referring to the original almond paste ingredient.