Chargrilled Paprika Lemon Chicken
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- 195g/7oz. garlic mayonnaise
- 120ml/4fl. oz Bill’s Dressing, or your favourite salad dressing
- 3 small chickens or poussins, boned and butterflied
- 3 lemons, halved
- Handful of baby kale
- 30ml/1fl. oz cold pressed rapeseed oil
- Bunch of mint
- Bunch of coriander
- Sea salt and pepper, to season
For the spice mix
- 5g each of paprika, chilli powder, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, cumin and coriander, mixed together
For the couscous
- 240ml/8fl oz. vegetable stock
- 300g/10½oz giant couscous
- 3 tsp. rapeseed oil
For the pink coleslaw
- 100g/3½oz carrots, grated
- 100g/3½oz white cabbage, finely sliced
- 100g/3½oz celeriac, julienne
- 100g/3½oz pink/red cabbage, finely sliced
- 30g kale leaves
- Parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to season
This recipe for butterfly chicken with paprika and lemon ensures the chicken is chargrilled and crispy on the outside, and soft and juicy on the inside. Accompanied by crunchy slaw and fresh lemon, it’s a perfect summer supper or will be a welcome addition to the barbecue spread.
This recipe was sent to Kitchen Geekery by Bill's Restaurants.
- Prepare the couscous by bringing the vegetable stock to the boil.
- Toss the dry couscous with the oil in a large bowl until it coats every grain.
- Pour the hot stock over the couscous and stir well, cover with clingfilm and allow to sit for 15 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Chargrill the lemon halves on a griddle pan or barbecue for a few minutes and set aside.
- Rub the oil, salt, pepper and the spice mix into the chickens.
- Cook for a few minutes either side on the griddle pan or barbeque. Then place in the oven to cook for 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Leave to rest for 5-10 mins before cutting into halves.
- Remove the clingfilm on the couscous and fluff with a fork.
- Mix the pink slaw with the mint, coriander and the couscous and add the Bill’s dressing, or alternative salad dressing.
- Place the chicken on a plate, add the slaw mix and garnish with the kale leaves and grilled lemon.
- Lastly, spoon on the mayonnaise and serve outside, if the weather allows it!