This recipe for Orange, rosemary and chicken skewers was created by Lauren O’Connor, a dietitian from California, USA.When it's warm and sunny, what better time to grill and enjoy your meals outdoors. I love finding new ways to dress up chicken and yet keep it healthy. Here’s a recipe that trims the fat, while sealing in the flavours of natural wholesome foods. Lauren has another twist on this recipe, and further nutritional information available on her blog.
- 450 g boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
- 1 small aubergine/eggplant (2cm/1in cubes)
- 2 medium bell peppers (largely diced)
- 1 medium yellow squash (cubed)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- extra virgin olive oil
- Soak the wooden skewers in water, ideally this should be done for 30 minutes – it helps stop them burning.
- Toss the chicken and vegetables through the olive oil, rosemary and orange peel. Then thread the chicken and vegetables on skewers.
- Grill the skewers, turning once. It should take about 8 minutes or so until chicken is thoroughly cooked and the vegetables are just tender.
- Drizzle the skewers with a little fresh orange juice and serve.