Sea bass with roast potatoes and vegetables
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 whole sea bass (around 1.2 kg/2½lb)
- 2-3 potatoes
- 200ml/7fl. oz white wine
- 1 pepper
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh parsley
- Salt & pepper
This guest recipe for oven-baked sea bass, served with roasted potatoes and vegetables was submitted to Kitchen Geekery by Joy Venner.
Joy writes, “I lived in Spain for a few years and quickly fell in love with flavoursome, fresh Spanish cuisine. Amongst the many dishes I learnt to cook, I particularly loved this simple sea bass dish, – so easy to cook and absolutely delicious! This recipe is sure to please everyone who gives it a go.”
If using a whole, unfilleted sea bass, fillet it and keep the head and bones to one side - you can use it to prepare the cooking stock.
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC/400ºF or Gas Mark 6.
- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly, then layer them in a large ovenproof dish.
- Peel and slice the the onion and the cloves of garlic, roughly chop a tomato and add them all to a baking tray.
- Pour a generous splash of olive oil, and the white wine over the vegetables and season.
- Place the dish of potatoes into the preheated oven and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Clean the sea bass – if you have not bought it filleted, you can fillet it removing the head and the spine and place them, along with a small bunch of parsley and a pinch of salt to a saucepan of water and bring to the boil to prepare a stock. If you have bought it filleted, prepare a fish stock mixed with half a pint of boiling water – you don’t need much.
- Toss the vegetables and drizzle the stock over, then place the sea bass on top before adding the tray to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Check after 10 minutes and if the sea bass is cooked, remove from the oven.
- Once cooked, place the cooked vegetables onto a large dinner plate and place the baked sea bass on top.
- Add some chopped parsley to the juices, so that the vegetables and fish have produced and serve in a little jug – this can poured be over the dish like a sauce.
- Sprinkle the rest of the chopped parsley on top of the fish andthe dish is ready!
- Serve the dish with some fresh crusty bread and a white wine of your choice.