Superfood Kale Salad with Almond Ginger Dressing
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
- 12 whole radishes, cut into quarters
- 3 red peppers, sliced into strips
- 2 courgettes, sliced into strips
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 480g/1lb chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 300g/10½oz quinoa, cooked
- 180g/7oz kale leaves
- 120g/4oz red onion
- 120g/4oz red cabbage, thinly sliced
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Pinch of sesame seeds
- Pinch of flaked almonds
For the almond and ginger dressing
- 60g/2oz fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, halved
- 50g/1¾oz ground almonds
- 50ml/3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 20ml/1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 20ml/1 tbsp. rapeseed oil
- 10ml/2 tsp. tamari soy sauce
- Juice of half a lemon
A light and zesty salad, packed with healthy ingredients, and perfect for long lazy lunches or packed away for a summer picnic.
This recipe was sent to Kitchen Geekery by Bill's Restaurants.
- Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F or Gas Mark 6.
Lay the courgette and red pepper on a baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil, roast for 15-20 minutes and then drain on a paper towel.
- Create the dressing by placing the ginger, garlic and 1 tbsp. water into a blender and pulse to form a smooth paste.
- Add the almonds, vinegar, tamari soy sauce, maple syrup and oil and blend again.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until the consistency resembles runny houmous.
- Place the kale in a bowl and dress with the ginger and almond dressing.
- Add the cabbage, radish, quinoa, chickpeas, red onions and salt and pepper and toss well.
- Divide among two salad bowls, piling the mixture high. Top with the roasted courgette, roasted pepper and avocado.
- Toast the sesame seeds and flaked almonds in a dry pan for a few minutes and add to the salad.
Kale belongs to the same family as cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and collards.