The Cosmopolitan (or Cosmo) is a cocktail made with vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice, and freshly squeezed lime juice. A Cosmopolitan is usually served in a large cocktail glass. A true Cosmopolitan cocktail should have a slightly tart taste and have a pinkish hue as a result of the shaking with the lime juice.
- Cocktail glass
- 50 ml vodka
- 25 ml orange liqueur (triple sec)
- 50 ml cranberry juice
- 12.5 ml lime juice
- lemon or orange zest
- ice cubes
- Fill a shaker with ¾ full with ice.
- Add the vodka, orange liqueur, lime and cranberry juice to the cocktail shaker.
- With the lid on, shake vigorously for 20-30 seconds, until cold.
- Strain all the ingredients in the shaker into a cocktail glass – the drink should be ice free!
- Finally garnish with lemon or, more traditionally some orange zest flamed over the drink.
Is a cosmo a girly drink?
No, cosmopolitan cocktail can be enjoyed equally by both, a man and a woman. The drink’s bright pink colour doesn’t make it “girly”.
Is a cosmo shaken or stirred?
The correct way to mix a cosmopolitan cocktail is to shake the ingredients in a shaker.
Is a cosmopolitan strong?
The typical cosmopolitan is 2/5 units, so it is certainly alcoholic, but not as strong as some other cocktails, but as always you should drink responsibly.
What vodka cocktails are best?
If you like a vodka drink like the Cosmopolitan cocktail, we also have a roundup of our top ten cocktails with vodka, its not official, but we think you’ll find these cocktails are all worth trying.