The Moscow Mule is a cocktail of American origin made of vodka, spicy ginger beer and lime juice.The Moscow mule dates back to 1941 when the first Russian shop called "Little Moscow" started selling vodka (Smirnoff) in the US. The drink was not liked by the Americans, but the shop owner was persistent in selling it and created the cocktail including this ingredient. It was important to reflect the Russian origin of the cocktail component, so the chosen animal (a mule was chosen for no specific reason) was called Moscow to "make it Russian". The slogan of the Moscow Mule cocktail also promised that the cocktail will "knock the spirit out" of the one who drinks it.
- Copper mug
- 50 ml vodka
- 140 ml spicy ginger beer
- 15 ml lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1-2 lime wedges (to garnish)
- Fill a copper mug with ice.
- Add vodka and freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Top the drink up with spicy ginger beer. Stir to combine
- Drop a few lime wedges into the mug for garnish.
What vodka cocktails are best?
If you like a cocktail with vodka in like this Moscow Mule, we also have a roundup of our top ten cocktails with vodka, its not official, but we think you’ll find these cocktails are all worth trying.