The Singapore Sling cocktail hails from Singapore, and is a refreshing zesty alcoholic cocktail great for lovers of gin. It was originally called the Gin Sling, which has its origins in the late 18th Century. A Singapore Sling is made from gin, cherry brandy, grenadine and soda water. It is widely known to have a wide range of variations in its preparation with as stated by D. A. Embury in the Fine Art of Mixing Drinks where he went on to say "Of all the recipes published for [this drink] I have never seen any two that were alike.".
- Highball glass or Hurricane glass
- 50 ml gin
- 25 ml cherry brandy
- 50 ml soda water
- 25 ml lemon juice
- 1 tsp grenadine
- ice cubes
- 1 cherry
- 1 slice of lime/orange
- Put the gin, brandy, lemon juice and grenadine into a cocktail shaker.
- With the lid on, shake vigorously until well combined.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes.
- Strain the liquid into the glass and then top up the glass with soda water.
- Garnish with a slice of lime/orange and a cherry.
What are the best gin cocktails?
If you like a gin cocktail we also have a roundup of the 10 best gin cocktails – it’s not official, but we think you’ll find the list quite inspiring!