- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- Total time: 1½ hours
- ¾kg/1½ lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup soft bread cubes
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup thick barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 heaped tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
This recipe for Parmesan meatloaf was submitted to Kitchen Geekery by Cynthia Briggs — a cookbook author.
Cynthia writes "Meatloaf is what my mother often made on rainy days, so that's why I regard it as the ultimate comfort food. Years later, my 6 year old grandson told his mother that he wanted to visit Grandma Cindy’s house to eat some “real food”. It was only later we learned that he was referring to a meatloaf dinner I had served him. This is where the name "surprise" Parmesan meatloaf comes from!"
Meatloaf is a dish of ground meat formed into a loaf shape and baked or smoked. It is usually made from ground beef, although other meats can be used. American meatloaf is based on colonial dish from Pennsylvania of German-American origin called scrapple, a mixture of ground pork and cornmeal/cornstarch.
You can also prepare these as 12 mini-meatloaves by greasing a 12-muffin tin and using that instead. If you do this you do not need to repeat step 5.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4.
- Combine all ingredients except the barbecue sauce; mix lightly.
- Fold into a greased loaf pan (I use one approx. 5” x 9” x 3”).
- Gently press to remove large bubbles and bake for 30 minutes, and remove any excess fats that accumulate.
- Spread over half the barbecue sauce and bake for 15 minutes.
- Repeat step 5.
- Serve sprinkled with additional Parmesan cheese and barbecue sauce on the side.