A classic American recipe for parmesan meatloaf.Meatloaf is a dish of ground meat formed into a loaf shape and baked or smoked. It is usually made from ground beef, although other meats can be used. American meatloaf is based on a colonial dish from Pennsylvania of German-American origin called scrapple, a mixture of ground pork and cornmeal/cornstarch.You can also prepare these as 12 mini-meatloaves by greasing a 12-muffin tin and using that instead. If you do this you do not need to repeat step 5.This recipe for Parmesan meatloaf was submitted to Kitchen Geekery by Cynthia Briggs — a cookbook author.
- 3/4 kg lean ground beef
- 1 cup soft bread cubes
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup thick barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano (heaped)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4.
- Combine all ingredients except the barbecue sauce; mix lightly.
- Fold into a greased loaf pan (I use one approx. 5” x 9” x 3”).
- Gently press to remove large bubbles and bake for 30 minutes, and remove any excess fats that accumulate.
- Spread over half the barbecue sauce and bake for 15 minutes.
- Repeat step 5.
- Serve sprinkled with additional Parmesan cheese and barbecue sauce on the side.