Country house chicken
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tbsp. dry sherry
- 2 tbsp. cornflour
- 2 tbsp. seasoned flour
- 55g/2oz butter
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tbsp. orange jelly marmalade
This recipe for Country House chicken was kindly sent to Kitchen Geekery by Clare Goode, from the North East of England, and is a time-served family favourite. The sauce is thick, but not creamy, and makes a great accompaniment to steamed green vegetables, and some new – or dauphinoise – potatoes
- Coat the chicken breasts in the seasoned flour.
- Sauté the chicken in a heavy bottomed pan for about 20 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before the chicken is finished, cook the sliced button mushrooms in a saucepan with 1 tbsp. of butter for five minutes.
- In a jug, dissolve the chicken stock in 12fl oz. or ¾ pint of boiling water.
- To the jug, add the sherry, and stir in the cornflour, when mixed, add the marmalade and stir until smooth.
- Add the mushrooms to the mixture and strain it all over the pan with the chicken – this should remove any of the orange zest in the marmalade from the sauce, – you can then carefully add the mushrooms and not the orange zest to the pan.
- Add the remaining butter, and bring the chicken and its sauce to a gentle simmer and season to taste.
- Cook the combined mixture together for another 10-15 minutes to allow it to thicken, the resulting sauce should be a honey-colored jus.
- Serve hot, with some new potatoes and green vegetables.