- 350 g mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 200 g heavy cream
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp Parmesan (grated, optional)
- salt & pepper (to season)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and garlic. Stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy/double cream, thyme and oregano.
- Season with salt and pepper, and bring the sauce to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently until thickened (approximately for 5 minutes). You can add the Parmesan here if you wish to, if not, add a little salt to season instead; Parmesan is salty so be careful!
- Serve hot.
Is mushroom sauce healthy?
Not really, whilst the mushrooms are; the butter and cream used are not; although using Crème fraîche would reduce the calories without impacting the taste much.
Is mushroom sauce vegan?
Yes, the sauce contains no animal products.
Is mushroom sauce gluten free?
Yes, the sauce contains no flour, flour is commonly used in many sauces to thicken them.
Is mushroom sauce keto?
Yes, the sauce is generally regarded as a low carbohydrate, but quite high-fat sauce.