Fried mozzarella sandwich
- Serves: 2
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 15 minutes
- 4 thick slices of fresh bread
- 250g/8½oz buffalo mozzarella (App. 100g/3½oz drained)
- 100ml/3½fl. oz milk, for dipping
- Plain flour, for dusting (Approx 50g/1¾oz)
- 2 beaten eggs
- Olive oil
- Salt & black pepper
In Italy, these fried mozzarella sandwiches are known as “Mozzarella in carrozza”, which means mozzarella in a carriage, and that's a great name for such a simple, comforting dish that all the family can enjoy.
Fried mozzarella sandwiches can be used to feed four as a starter, or two as a main meal. This recipe only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish, and all it requires is a ball of mozzarella, some bread and some olive oil – and it's a bit more unusual than bruschetta, which shares the same basic ingredients.
This is best served with something with a bit of a kick I think, so a nice garlic tomato dip, or a salsa will provide a bit of taste to counteract the gorgeous creamy cheese.
Have three shallow dishes out, one for the beaten egg, one with a mixture of a handful of flour mixed with salt, and another with about 100ml milk. Cut the mozzarella into thick slices (I just halved the mozzarella ball then cut each half into twice slices.)
Heat some olive oil in a pan, you will shallow fry the sandwich in this, so it only needs to be 1-2cm, or about half an inch deep.
- From a fresh loaf cut four thick slices of bread about 1½cm/½in thick.
- When the olive oil is hot, dip one slice into the milk quickly – this process can be a little messy, and you don't want to leave the soggy sandwich to one side whilst the oil heats!
- Add the mozzarella for one sandwich to the top, and dip another slice of bread in the milk to make the sandwich.
- Flour the sandwich, then dip it into the egg.
- Carefully(!) shallow fry the sandwich in the hot oil olive, let one side cook for a couple of minutes before turning it over, as the sandwich will be pretty soft and soggy until its cooked.
- Once both sides have been cooked for a couple of minutes, remove from the heat and prepare the other sandwich.
- Once both are cooked, half diagonally and serve each one hot, with a side of some tomato salsa.