- 5 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tbsp salt
- ½ freshly grated nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter until melted. Add flour and stir until smooth.
- Over medium heat, cook, whilst stirring regularly, for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in separate pan until close to the boil. Add the milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until the combined mixture is a very smooth sauce and bring to a boil.
- Cook for another 30 seconds, then remove the sauce from heat.
- Season with salt and nutmeg and set aside.
What is bechamel sauce used for?
Bechamel sauce is a creamy sauce used as the base for many other sauces, it goes well with vegetables, potatoes, white-meats and cheese dishes.
Is bechamel a white sauce?
Bechamel sauce is a white sauce, it is one of the “mother sauces” of French cuisine.
Is bechamel sauce gluten free?
No, as bechamel sauce contains flour.