Grilled red peppers with chorizo toasts
- Serves: 4
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
- 4-8 slices bread
- 2 Red bell peppers
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1 Garlic clove
- 75g/2½ Cooking chorizo, sliced
- 2 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Sherry vinegar
- Small handful of basil leaves
With all the gatherings going on this season, make life a little easier in the kitchen without compromising on flavour. These simple red pepper and chorizo toasts make for the perfect morsel to pass around a party with a glass of wine in hand!
This recipe was produced by the ‘Vegetables from Europe: We Care, You Enjoy’ campaign, which is designed to explain the care that goes into growing fresh produce and to encourage people to eat more vegetables.
The campaign supports the European farmers who combine agricultural experience with the latest food technology to provide you with vegetables packed with flavour and nutrients which can be found at your local supermarket.
- Preheat the grill.
- Cut the bell peppers in half and place cut side down on a baking sheet and grill until the skins have blackened.
- Remove the peppers and put them in a bowl, cover with a pan lid, and set aside for 10-15 minutes to allow the skins to steam off. Peel and cut into thin slices.
- Whilst the peppers are resting in the bowl, cut the tomatoes in half, then deseed each half, then finely chop or pulse in a food processor to give an even texture.
- Lightly toast the bread, then rub one side of the toast with the garlic clove.
- Put the chorizo in a pan – there’s no need for any oil as the chorizo has enough fat in it already, and cook over a medium heat until the chorizo starts to turn golden.
- Add the peppers, along with the extra virgin olive oil and sherry vinegar. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the mixture looks a little saucy.
- Divide the chopped tomatoes among the toasts, then top each with the pepper and chorizo.
- Garnish with basil.