The French 75 cocktail is a citrus-flavoured sparkling gin cocktail dating back to 1915. Being exquisite in appearance and deliciously tasty this cocktail is a perfect drink for a casual party or romantic evening.The cocktail was supposedly created by the bartender Harry McElhone in Paris and named after the French cannon of the same name – one known for its soft yet powerful recoil. So similarly to the cannon, the French 75 cocktail intoxicates strongly and quickly, whilst maintaining a smooth, gentle effect on the drinker.
- champagne flute
- 50 ml gin
- ¼ cup champagne (chilled)
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 tbsp sugar syrup
- 1 long spiral lemon twist (for garnish)
- Mix the lemon juice, sugar syrup and gin in a cocktail shaker filled up with ice.
- Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds until outside of the cocktail shaker is very cold.
- Strain into chilled flute. Top with Champagne and garnish with a lemon twist.
What are the best gin cocktails?
If you like a gin cocktail like this tasty French 75 cocktail we also have a roundup of the 10 best gin cocktails, it’s not official, but we think you’ll find the list quite inspiring!