Apple cranberry tart
- Serves: 8 servings
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1½ hours
- For the crust:
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup butter, softened
- For the filling:
- 6 large cooking apples (Granny Smith, Braeburn, Fuji)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup cold water
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. cornflour/corn starch
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
It doesn't get any more festive or homey than an apple cranberry tart – this is best described as a “centerpiece dessert” because it's a gorgeous feast for the eyes, and taste buds.
Thank you to Cynthia Briggs for kindly sharing this recipe.
Peel, core, and slice the apples.
- For the crust
- Mix the flour, cream cheese, and butter in food processor using the pulse action. Mix until the dough begins forming a ball, stop the processor, and shape the dough into a ball by hand.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, and roll out to a 28cm/ 11in circle.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and using a fork, puncture some holes in the crust bottom to prevent the crust from rising.
- Fold the outer edges of dough to create a "rustic" crust (see photo).
- Set to one side whilst you prepare the apple cranberry filling.
- For the Filling
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F or Gas Mark 6.
- Place the apples, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a large saucepan. Add ½ cup water, cover and bring to a gentle boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat, and simmer for a further 10 minutes before removing the pan from heat.
- Stir the corn starch into ⅓ cup cold water until smooth; add the mixture to the cooked apple filling.
- Stir the mixture well, and add the dried cranberries.
- Pour the apple cranberry filling into prepared crust, and adjust the outer edge by folding it toward the centre of tart – the edge of this tart is finished like a single-crust pie except with a wider free-form edge.
- Dot the top with 2 tablespoons of butter, and sprinkle the crust with some granulated sugar.
- Bake in the oven 40-50 minutes – watching closely to avoid scorching the crust.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.