Ham and mushroom carbonara
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- 400g/14oz dried linguine, cooked
- 200g/7oz ham, chopped
- 200g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup cream
- 125g/4½oz grated parmesan
- 2 eggs
- A large pinch of chives
- 2/3 garlic cloves, crushed (Optional)
- 1 tbsp. butter
A popular dish, cheap to produce and easy to make but one that always makes a good impression. Linguine makes the dish a bit less messy to eat and a bit more appealing.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, stir gently until cooked and tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Combine cream, eggs, three quarters of the Parmesan, chives, garlic, and a generous amount of freshly ground pepper.
- Place linguine into a saucepan add a pinch of salt bring to the boil then simmer until cooked. In another pan add the egg mixture, mushrooms and ham. Toss over low heat until sauce thickens. Season to taste.
- Serve with remaining grated Parmesan and chopped chives.
The only additive allowed in real Parmesan is salt which is absorbed by the cheese in the first 20 days of curing.