The Gin Sour is a slightly tart, bitter cocktail made from gin, lemon juice and simple syrup. The cocktail has an extra twist from the egg white that creates a luscious foam topping. Although depending on your tastes (or diet) the egg foam is optional.There is little information as to the origin of the cocktail, however, it is known that it predates the Prohibition Era in the US.A Gin Sour is similar to the Bee's Knees cocktail which uses honey instead of the sugar syrup in a Gin Sour.
- Old Fashioned glass
- 60 ml gin
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 15 ml simple syrup
- 15 ml egg white (optional)
- lemon slice
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters (optional)
- Pour in all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice (dry shake first if using the egg white; add ice cubes after). Shake well for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled old fashioned glass.
- Garnish with bitters and a lemon slice.
What are the best gin cocktails?
If you like a gin cocktail like this Gin Sour we also have a roundup of the 10 best gin cocktails – it’s not official, but we think you’ll find the list quite inspiring!
What are some popular sour cocktails?
The Whiskey Sour, Amaretto Sour, Pisco Sour and the New York Sour are all popular drinks in the sour cocktail family.