The Amaretto Sour is a sweet cocktail where the almond Amaretto liqueur flavour combines with some freshly squeezed lemon juice. A dash of bitters helps balance the cocktail and adds to its sour taste.It is believed that Amaretto Sour was created in America in 1970s. During this period Italian community would introduce their drinks to the locals who generally preferred sweet flavours. Since amaretto liqueur has a nutty, sweet flavour, it became an instant hit.
- Old Fashioned glass
- 60 ml amaretto
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 1 dash Angostura Bitters
- 15 ml egg white
- 1 lemon wedge (to garnish)
- 1 maraschino cherry on a skewer (to garnish)
- Mix amaretto, lemon juice and egg white in a cocktail shaker with no ice.
- Shake hard and at high speed for 20 seconds.
- Add some ice to the cocktail shaker to make it ¾ full. Shake well for another 20 seconds.
- Strain the liquid into the old fashioned glass filled with ice.
- Add a dash of bitters.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge and a maraschino cherry on a skewer.
What makes an Amaretto sour cocktail sour?
Sours are traditionally mixed drinks that comprise a liqueur, lemon or lime juice and a sweetener such as simple syrup.
What are some popular sour cocktails?
The Whiskey Sour, Pisco Sour, the Gin Sour and New York Sour are all popular drinks in the sour cocktail family.
What type of drink is Amaretto?
Amaretto is a liqueur with almond flavour that is made from apricot kernels, peach stones and / or almonds.